Monday, July 4, 2011

The Princess Birthday Party.


It is the end of the school year and it was Dahlia's birthday.  It seems like something always seems to throw me off at this time of year to celebrate her special day.  Last year we were in the van, headed to Florida, which hardly seems like the place to go from 2 to 3 years old.  As Andy and I realized which day it was on that trip we kept it a secret since we both feel that it would be such a 'let down' to tell her and then insist that she stay seat-belted as we passed through Washington AND Virginia that day!

This year the 'throw off' was my trip to France.  (I know, poor me.) I ended up staying an extra week to stay with a student in the hospital, so between reverse jetlag, Matthew's last day of school, getting back into a routine, a party was the last thing on my list (along with blogging.)
The great friends on my street are the reason why I ended up getting my 'party-on' this year.  We were all going to have a group party for the 3 youngsters with their birthdays within weeks of each other and then we decided that extending the parties was a great way to 'pass' the summer.  But our theme was 'Keep it simple, cause the kids just want to run around eat cake, feel special and let's be honest, we don't want the pressure of 'Out-do-ing' the neighbours with elaborate festivities.
So this is what I came up with, since I already had the bunting made from last year, and Dahlia got a new princess dress for her birthday. :)

The girls all fit nicely at the small tables, told to dress 'Pretty' while the boys were told to dress ' Cool' according to Dahlia.
The boys, happy to stand back from the girly-ness of the party. Very happy with English muffin mini pizzas.
The cake, 3 layers of round cake with jelly-tots for decor.
Have I ever told you my rant about how much I hate cone hats with elastic that breaks instantly....These seemed to be a better alternative.
The next to impossible group shot.   
Clowning in the garden.
Until next year, happy birthday,  Dahli-bean!

No comments:

Post a Comment