Friday, November 5, 2010

Once a month Cooking


Here is a dream....I REALLY want to have a deep freeze. I think I will even put it on my Christmas wish list...along with 1700 other things. The reason...so I can just excuse myself downstairs to get already prepared whatever and bring it up..stress free.
Since watching Food Inc, I have been more conscious about what I eat, but it is hard when living on a budget, living with 3 small kids, and having barely anytime to plan anything but 'what can I use in my cupboard' meals. This would be a great way to buy local meat, local grown produce in an economical way, and not have everything freezer burnt by the time you are ready to use it!
I have been talking to a few of my friends about this Once a month cooking idea or as they say on the web OAMC recipes. It is not filling my freezer, but will definitely be great back-ups for those days when I don't have time to shop, prepare,or be creative.
I have wanted to do this for so long, but this has stayed on my TO DO list.
So this month, I will organize a group that will get together (mostly moms? I dunno) to exchange meals. I figure it goes like this, one night of insane cooking in exchange for a few nights of peace.
The idea is that everyone cooks ONE meal that can be frozen, with minimal things to add so that one can take it out of the freezer in the morning and be ready by dinner.
The rules are it can be over rice or noodles, but needs to be family friendly, but not to basic.
It has to be stored in a ziplock or tupperware, have recipe and instructions attached.
Everyone has to bring 2 other recipes, just to inspire the rest of us, because when stress happens, inspiration is hard to come by!
Let's see how it goes!
Loni

2 comments:

  1. can i just say i think this is a wonderful idea and i am excited to start this with some other single women here! rach and i chatted about how we want to start doing something like this as our life schedules have us pretty busy sometimes and those are the times you just want a good quality home cooked meal. i think this is the inspiration we need to get this thing going ;) thanks Loni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to come, and maybe do another exchange.just cuz I want to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete