Monday, November 22, 2010

Around the corner.


Christmas. Yes, it really is just around the corner. This is usually where i make all kinds of lists, start thinking about all he presents I have to buy, start digging up the decorations...
This year, we already have our tree up...sick early... I know...I felt a bit bullied by our 5 year old, but now I am happy it is up, despite the horrified looks i get from Dec 1 traditionalists.
Over the last two years, I have been trying to figure out how to bring Jesus into this season and edge out Santa a bit. How do you work both, or just one into a home.

Option 1: Just do Jesus, never say the S word, keep them from school, malls, no traditional stuff since it all "distracts" for Jesus. I thought that Santa would never even be mentioned in our home...good luck, even my own mother ix-nayed that on day two of Matty's life. I always think that if we ignore culture there will be push-back later. My mom grew up not celebrating Christmas because it was based on "heathen traditions" and when she had her own house it was rebelliously FULL of decorations .

Option 2: Just do Santa....i don't think so. Other than the threat, "Santa is making a list...", it is not that appealing to me.

Option 2: Work with both: Can the two live in harmony? Can kids distinguish them both? I always worry that they will think that Jesus drives a sleigh with twelve little disciples, delivering candy and toys, maybe they could make a delivery to baby Santa who was born in a manger...I dunno, weird, but in the back of my head that's what will happen.

We have friends who do a St Nicholas celebration earlier in December and then put everything away and start doing Jesus stuff. I have a friend who said that would never work unless it was opposite. But I want Jesus to be associated with he "good stuff" not Santa. I guess it is the same tension with Easter Bunny and Jesus' resurrection. It really feels like a competition, and I need to soup up the Nativity team...

So these next few weeks, I am going to hunt for some cool ways to celebrate Jesus' birth. Hopefully my kids will understand the gift that He is, no matter what happens in our home.
In closing , at least I know Jesus will show himself to those who seek, so pressure is off.







No comments:

Post a Comment