Sunday, January 30, 2011

Dinner with the gourmets.


I am excited about a fun night of dining in two weeks! It is absolutely frivolous, with no occassion, no guest of honour, other than to enjoy food itself with friends (who love to cook...perhaps more than me!)
Inspired by the dinner exchange, I have fallen in love with the idea of community dining.
The way I see it, a meal out at a gourmet restaurant is something to save up for, often costing a small fortune for tiny portions, but this way we can all enjoy a long wonderful meal with a MUCH smaller bill!
The idea is to each bring a homemade "gourmet" addition to the table, for a multi course meal of fine food. Maybe better defined as a gourmet potluck.

So far the menu is :
Appetizer is prosciutto wrapped asparagus.
My contribution is a pork tenderloin in a port, shallot and bacon reduction.
Dessert may be poached pears in a chocolate sauce.

Also, I was thinking of putting together a game to play up on our gourmet airs. maybe some trivia with the theme of "Stump the Gourmet". Questions like "What kind of bowl is recommended to whip up a soufflé?", "Where is the proper placement of a oyster fork?"

Can't wait!


3 comments:

  1. a copper bowl!

    WIN!

    ps - I actually LOVE this idea, but more so with smaller groups... Like with Max and Rachel one night (total of 4 people only), or you and Andy another... What can I say, my husband is a chow hound and though he loves gourmet (maybe even more than me!) his appetite is too big to dine and be satisfied with 8 other people haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right! !! You don't need trivia to know that you are already a gourmet! :) We'll miss you, but I know you will be having your own wonderful meals with your family! What is the name of the "juicebox company again...seriously considering it if it is not too late.

    ReplyDelete